...this is the kind of stuff I'd post on it.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Sharrows

On my commute to work this morning, I saw some SDOT guys getting ready to paint some sharrows on Jackson St. For the unfamiliar, here's a sharrow in it's natural habitat:


They had their giant road-stencil out, and it made me wish I could get my hands on it. Seattle's done a great job the last few years with adding new bike lanes and sharrows with their Bicycle Master Plan, but I still see endless possiblities, just for my neck of the woods alone:
  • Airport Way
  • Lake Washington Blvd
  • MLK
  • ...
Don't get me wrong, any lane marking that gets drivers' attention, and makes them aware of bikes is a great thing, but I can't help feeling like sharrows are the poor man's bike lane. I think drivers really do respond to having an actual line on the road, maybe for no other reason than it's more visible than the occasional sharrow marking. Hopefully as they become more prevalent and commonplace, drivers start to respect them more.

All in all though, I'm happy to see that some sharrows are going down on Jackson. I also saw them going in on Dearborn, just east of Rainier. Those areas both have a lot of bike traffic, and I ride them every day.

~D

No comments:

Post a Comment