...this is the kind of stuff I'd post on it.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Dialing in the Mercian




Oooooohhh man, where do I start? I've been riding my new Mercian for about a week now, tweaking things here and there, and just generally getting it dialed in. I snapped these pics yesterday, after I finished getting the Honjo fenders on.**

It's the smoothest, snappiest bike I've ever ridden. No joke. I've been over-joyed with the way the bike fits, handles, and rides. Everything has come together really nicely, and the finished bike has gotten me lots of compliments, from cyclists and non-cyclists alike.

So far, I've gotten along pretty well with the 53x39 chainrings and the 12-25 cassette, since I normally ride with a lower cadence and taller gear than most. It feels wrong to not have a lower gear than 39x25 in a place as hilly as Seattle though. We'll see how I feel after taking a longer, hillier ride. I've got some other Campy cogs that I can swap out if need be.

My only real complaint is that Mercian screwed up and only put on one set of water-bottle braze-ons, when I requested 2. Sigh.

Pictures are worth 1,000 words, especially when they're pictures of such a handsome bike:



** Honjos, and their ilk, are the biggest pains-in-the-ass to install. They require tons of time, tools, and tweaking, and then they make you worried about bumping your bike into stuff once they're on. And did I mention they're gorgeous, sturdy, and complementary to the look of certain bikes in a way that no other fender could be? Despite the setup pain, they're fantastic fenders, and really high quality. Just don't ask me for help putting them on......

8 comments:

  1. How long did it take to get yours? I ordered a Strada Speciale at the end of May and I'm about to explode, I'm so excited and impatient...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took almost exactly 5 months from the date of order. (5 months plus a week). I'm not sure how much of that was shipping time, since I didn't get a FedEx tracking number when it shipped.

    I definitely feel your pain, but congrats on the order! If your experience is anything like mine, it'll be completely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait—yours is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, did you bring it up to Mercian that they forgot the braze-ons? If so, what did they say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nah, I didn't bring it up, but I should have. I actually just got some of the bottle cage clamps from Velo-Orange for the second cage. It's worked out pretty well for over a year now.

    Funny, the bike looks different in these pictures. I've made a bunch of tweaks since then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, your bike is beautiful. I'm considering ordering a custom from them and have been searching Google to find people's experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's been awhile, but maybe you can use the forgotten braze-ons to your advantage; you can stick a Topeak or Zefal frame pump onto the seat tube. You wouldn't be able to with the second set of braze-ons.

    ReplyDelete