...this is the kind of stuff I'd post on it.

Monday, September 28, 2009

Honjo fender fixes

Let me start this post by saying that I'm a huge fan of Honjo fenders.  As I've said before, they're amazing, but a huge PITA to install and dial in.

I'd bought a set of the extra-long, 36mm width Honjos from Velo Orange for the Mercian, and I loved the extra coverage that the fenders had.  I probably don't even need to worry about a mudflap with these fenders, the coverage is so good.  We'll see.

The only problem was that the front-most portion of the front fender rattled and vibrated whenever I rode on rough surfaces like a bumpy or chip-sealed road.  And riding with one hand off the bars (whether drinking water or signaling, or whatever else) made the problem waaay worse.  The Mercian has a fender boss under the fork crown, and I'd tried all sort of mounting setups: rubber washers, metal washers, different bolts, etc to no avail.

Since the read fender has 3 mounting points (chainstay bridge, seatstay bridge, and fender stay), it was rock solid.  The front fender only has 2 mounting points (fender stay and fork crown boss), and it obviously wasn't enough to keep the entire thing steady.

I spent a bunch of time googling around, but I didn't really find a whole lot of useful information about this problem.  I wasn't ready to commit to having a Nitto-style rack on the front, just to get the extra fender-mount that those racks provide.  Finally, after seeing this post on the wonderful Cycling Spokane blog, I decided I would just add an extra stay to the front fender.  I also found a few images of some sweet bikes that had extra fender stays on the front, and they looked good:

(image courtesy of Vintage Bicycle Press)

Since I only had one set of eyelets on the fork, it was a little challenging, but I was able to mount both stays on the one eyelet.  I put an r-clip on the outside of the fork as usual, and another r-clip on the inside, with a Nylock nut to hold it on to the long hex bolt that I used.

Here's a crappy picture of what I'm talking about:


Turned out pretty good I think:

As soon as I took the first ride after getting it all set up, I knew I'd done the right thing.  Vibration gone, rattling gone.  Hopefully by putting this online, it'll be found by the next person who encounters the same issue.  I know not everyone that buys these extra-long fenders has a front rack with a fender mount to keep the front fender steady.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea and execution, thanks for sharing! Gives me one more idea to ponder. Now I'm wondering if a hub generator light mounted to the front fender stay would work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Great solution. I was having the exact same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always make sure your beach cruiser is locked up with the proper lock.
    Also make sure you lock your tire to the frame of the bike, and the bike frame to the bike rack.
    bike light

    ReplyDelete