...this is the kind of stuff I'd post on it.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cyclocross 2009: Starbucks GP

My busy cyclocross weekend continued on Sunday with the Starbucks GP out at Lake Sammamish State Park in Issaquah.

My buddy Mike was on hand to take pictures after his race was over.  A small sampling of his handiwork:



All photos courtesy of Michael Mabale


Dude takes amazing photos.  He makes me look way cooler than I could ever hope to be.  I ended up writing a ton about the last race, so I feel like I should keep this write-up brief.  Ready?  Here goes:

I raced.  I felt good.  The course was fast, and completely 100% flat.  It was the complete opposite of the Crosstoberfest course I'd raced on the day before: very "fitness oriented", and less techinical.  In lieu of any hills or run-ups, there was a long stretch of beachfront sand to run through.  I think it more than made up for a lack of elevation gain.  The field was huge, and the turn-out overall was great.

There were lots of spectators, and even more cowbells.  It was great to see so many people out cheering racers on.  Some especially vocal spectator noticed that myself and one other racer were both wearing plain black jerseys and bibs, and took to calling us "the men in black" whenever we rode by.  Turns out the other "man in black" was a guy named Andrew who destroyed most of the Cat 4 racers on his single speed (a really nice Serotta).  I could only hang near for a little while before he completely dropped me.  That guy is an animal.

I came in 18th overall, out of 60-some-odd racers.  Oddly enough, that ended up putting me 18th overall in the MFG series standings, which I couldn't be more pleased with.

More pictures of the event, courtesy of the MFG Cyclocross' flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfgcyclocross/sets/72157622525199740/

Oh, and I almost forgot the picture I snapped of this evil young CX fan:


That middle number could be an 8, but I'm pretty sure it was a 6.  Awesome.

~D

1 comment:

  1. You're a natural DC, and having an impressive first season. Thanks for the photog cred, but I just look and click while you dance The Dance.
    -mmmmmabale

    ReplyDelete