...this is the kind of stuff I'd post on it.

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Cyclocross 2009: Parting shots from Monroe

As much as I hate to admit it, cyclocross really is done here in Seattle for 2009.  True, I could travel somewhere else and maybe fit in one more race, but honestly, the season is over.  I'm sad to see it go, but I'll be back for sure in 2010.

The Seattle Cyclocross series held the final race of the Seattle season back on November 29th, at the Evergreen State Fairgounds up in Monroe.  It was a great race, one of the best I've been to this year, both in terms of the course layout, and my actual performance.  My only gripe is that it was way out in the boonies of Snohomish County, 36.2 miles from my house, according to Google Maps.  Not a big deal for some people, but I get cranky when I have to drive too much.

The course had a little bit of everything: slick wet grass, gravel, asphalt, sand, steep technical hills, a true run-up, a horse barn to ride through, and mud of all sorts (sticky mud, wet soupy mud, sandy mud, slippery mud, etc. etc. etc.)  It made for a really entertaining race, both as a spectator, and a racer.  There were plenty of spills, especially on the steep, technical downhill sections:




images courtesy of SpotShot events

I had a great day performance-wise, and I nailed an 8th place finish in my race, out of 35 racers.  I give all the credit to the whole-wheat waffles that I made that morning for breakfast, which was truly a breakfast of champions.

Without further ado, here are some magnificent images from my race, courtesy of the amazing Mr. Mabale:





I've said it before, and I'll say it again: dude is amazing with a camera.  He tried to tell me that he didn't have the right type of film for the conditions, camera jargon this, camera jargon that, but I still say that it's a million times better than anything I could capture.  If he wasn't a 'cross racer himself I'd ask him if he could be my personal photographer.  Now that I've cracked the top 10 in the lowest men's category of a couple local bike races, I feel justified in needing my own photographer.

I also managed to take home an armload of swag, courtesy of the SCX sponsors: a new set of Ritchey SpeedMax tires, a cool new Park multi-tool that includes a chain tool, a set of gloves, and some fancy-pants FSA derailleur pulleys.  All that, just for showing up and sticking around until the awards ceremony.  It wasn't too hard of a decision to make, considering they were giving away free New Belgium beer in the beer garden.

All in all, it was a great day at the races, and a good end to the 2009 Seattle-area 'cross season.

More photos of the race (including ones that don't have me in them!!) here and here.

~D

No comments:

Post a Comment