...this is the kind of stuff I'd post on it.

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Overhaulin'

In my last post, I whined about being sick, and talked a little bit about some cool bike stuff I discovered in Spokane.  Meanwhile, back here in Seattle, I've had to figure out a way to get my bike fix without being able to really take any substantial rides.  So, I took advantage of a few days off of work, and the time spent indoors to overhaul one of my bikes, and give the others a little TLC.

First up: the Surly.  I finished my decal removal, threw a fresh coat of shellac on the bar tape, a fresh coat of Proofide on my saddle, cleaned up the drivetrain, and re-lubed everything.

Next up: my singlespeed 'cross bike.  Although it normally serves as my main commuter, it still hadn't recovered from the SSCXWC madness in Portland.  I decided it was time to tear it down completely, and give it the overhaul it deserved.  Here's a a crappy picture of it in mid-teardown, complete with my disembodied foot:


I've ridden this bike frequently, and hard, through all sorts of crappy Seattle weather and muck for over 18 months, and it showed.  The hub bearings were crunchier than a bowl of Grape Nuts, and even though I'd given it a cleaning after that last race, there was still mud crammed into every conceivable nook and cranny:
  • under the saddle
  • in the steer tube
  • in the BB shell
  • inside the tires
  • INSIDE the brake levers!!
After tearing it completely apart, I peered into the frame tubes and was happy to see no trace of rust.  I'd treated the frame with frame saver when I built it up initially, and I was glad to see that it had lived up to it's name.  After re-applying some more, I scrubbed out the steer tube using the awesome brush I spyed at the restaurant supply store:


I'm not sure what restaurants use these things for, but they're the perfect size for scrubbing out frame tubes (unless you have some grotesquely over-sized frame tubes). 

I also re-built the guts of my Crank Brothers Candy pedals.  I have these on all of my bikes, and besides being tough, dependable, and cheap, they're also incredibly simple and only contain a few parts.  Crank Brothers, in an amazing nod to self-serviceability, even has a video on their website showing how to rebuild them.


After I cleaned everything up, installed new hub bearings, re-assembled and re-lubed everything, I added another, trimmed-down version of my previous coroplast mudflap.  I've been contemplating adding some wider tires to this bike, maybe a pair of 32s that I have laying around, and installing the beat-up old Blackburn rear rack that I found out in the street.  I'm quickly coming around to the Grant-Petersen-Jan-Heine-et-al-wider-tires-really-are-better-for-most-applications camp, and I think this bike could really benefit from them.  I'm also going to put a little smaller chainring on this time around, since the ratio I'm running now is a bit much when I'm huffing it up some of the hills around here, and carrying a decent amount of junk with me at the same time.

I also give G's bikes a little tune-up, and swapped cassettes on the Mercian.

Now that I've whipped these bikes into shape, and tuned them up, the only thing left to do is ride them.   I've got a couple of longer rides coming up that I'm eager to get to, and that hopefully end up being blog-worthy.

Until then,
~D

2 comments:

  1. I'm inspired. You're very disciplined. Even repacking the pedals! Dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I had to have something bike-related to keep me busy while I was cooped up in the house with my sickness.

    BikeSnobNYC has a great post about getting "cabin fever" today, which is hilarious, of course: http://tinyurl.com/y8oulbn

    ~D

    ReplyDelete