...this is the kind of stuff I'd post on it.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Donate your Colnago today...

I went down to BikeWorks the other day during their volunteer hours, and ended up helping them move TONS of bikes from their old warehouse to their new warehouse space. 

Most of it involved loading bikes into a truck that someone had rented, but I did get to ride a few gnarly old bikes between the two buildings.  I even ended up moving an old Trek MTB that was EXACTLY like the one I used to own as a young teenager.  It was my first "real" (aka non-Huffy) bike, and served me incredibly well for a number of years, until I gave it to a neighbor to turn into an awesome Xtracycle.  

When all was said and done, we ended up with a pile of bikes that looked like this:


Interestingly enough, there was ONE bike that didn't quite fit in with the rest of the donated bikes.  See if you can identify why:


Yep, that's right.  It's a limited edition Colnago "Ferrari" bike.  Full carbon frame, deep-section race wheels, Campy Record gruppo, It's not exactly your typical BikeWorks donated bike.  I don't even want to know how much this thing goes for normally. Word on the street is the guy who donated it had 2 of them!!  It's even got some sort of owner's manual hanging from the seatpost, so I think it's safe to say this bike didn't see much riding before it ended up at BikeWorks.

I just thought it was funny juxtaposition.  I wonder how many mid-80's straight-gauge steel MTBs and old Schwinn 10-speeds this bike is "worth"?

~D

2 comments:

  1. I picked up a nice Bianchi frameset from Bikeworks a couple months ago. Kent and I were digging around in the warehouse seeing what they might have in my size and he pointed out the Colnago and told me it belonged to a former professional race car driver. I drooled over it a bit and Kent made the oh-so-generous offer to throw in the Bianchi for free if I shelled out the $4k or so the Colnago is worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA. So I take it you went with just the Bianchi then.

    I saw pics of said Bianchi on your blog, looks like it's working out well. I have a pair of those old Shimano 600 cranks. They're sweet.

    ReplyDelete