...this is the kind of stuff I'd post on it.

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Picnic Machine

Life is rough in Seattle these days.

Ever since returning from PBP, this is the type of riding I've been wanting to do.  Picnic riding.  It's finally summer-type weather here, and we're spoiled with parks and water in this damn town.  All this is made much easier by the fact that for a while now, I've had a sweet basket on the front of the bike I've been commuting on and riding the most: the Frankenbike.

I don't know why it took me so long to get a front basket on any of my bikes, but it is awesome.

The general workflow goes like this:
  • Throw some krap in the basket.  Almost any size, any shape.
  • Cover with stretchy cargo net
  • Ride krap to destination
  • Picnic hard
I've also noticed an interesting thing: when you ride a bike with a front basket and you pass another, similarly-equipped cyclist, they almost always do the little "head-nod" acknowledgement.  It's like you're in a club.  An "awesome way to carry stuff on your bike" club.

In case anyone's wondering, the fenders are the new SKS "longboard" fenders, and they're pretty great.  I had to use plastic fenders because of the tricky fender-mounting on this bike (In the absence of a chainstay bridge, I fabricated a mount onto the seat tube, made from an old taillight clamp).  Unlike most plastic fenders however, these guys are long enough to actually work.  The front flap almost touches the ground, and the fender just about reaches the front of the rack.

Honestly, I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon than to ride an enjoyable bicycle to a beautiful place, eat some delicious food, enjoy a beverage or 3, and kick back.  If only it were Saturday right now...

5 comments:

  1. We need to get some "picnic hard" t-shirts made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That might be the best bike I've ever seen: Highly sought-after, classic frame with canti-studs popped on, 650b and 1-speed conversion, and a basket. That's too awesome for words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get your front basket? I have been looking for one that will fit my old road bike with drop handles and haven't had much luck. I'm in Victoria, BC, but will be in Seattle this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the Wald 137 basket. You can find them at all sorts of bike shops, and Rivendell sells them as well. Cheap, functional, pretty great all around. http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/bskt.htm

    ReplyDelete